DJ Paul's Smoked BBQ Ribs
1 Bottle Award Winner DJ Paul's BBQ Rub
1 Bottle Award Winner DJ Paul's BBQ Sauce
2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
1 Bag Hickory Wood Chips
1 Bag Mesquite Wood Chips
1/2 Cup Bottle Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Heat the grill to 220 degrees.
2. Let the ribs come up to room temperature, rinse off in cold water
and remove the membrane (white fatty film) from the back. To remove
membrane, place ribs with meaty side down. Then insert a butter knife
or an ice pick between the membrane and the meat at one end. Work your
fingers around, under the membrane, to loosen it so you can get a grip
on it. Gently begin peeling it off, trying not to rip it. I like to use
a paper towel to help me get a grip. You should be able to pull it all
off in one long strip. Discard it.The membrane blocks the uptake of
smoke and creates a barrier to your seasoning. Pat dry with paper
3. Rub Award Winner DJ Paul's BBQ Rub on both sides of ribs. Wrap in
plastic and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
4. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator 45 minutes before smoking to
allow them to come to room temperature.
5. Combine the apple cider vinegar, water, and 6 Tbs of Award Winner DJ
Paul's BBQ Rub to create mop sauce.
6. Mix the hickory and mesquite wood chips in a disposable aluminum pan
or smoker box. Place the smoker box/aluminum pan into the grill over the heat.
7. Once the wood chips start to smoke the grill is ready. Place the ribs directly
on the rack on the cooler side of the grill (away from heat), meat side up. Smoke
for 4 -12 hours, brushing ribs with the mop sauce every hour. (The longer you smoke,
the more flavor you get.) During the last 15 minutes, remove the ribs and lightly coat
with Award Winner DJ Paul's BBQ Rub. Place the ribs over direct heat to crisp the meat.
Turning each one every 5 minutes. Brush on Award Winner DJ Paul's BBQ Sauce for
the last 5 minutes.
8. Remove the ribs to a serving platter and serve.
DJ Paul's fun tip: Add your favorite 12 oz beer to step 5 for a more flavorful mop sauce.
*Yield: 4 servings*